Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: GARS Gilliam Autism Rating Scale

I have the pdf version of the CARS test if anybody wants it.

ABA starts on Friday! Woo hoo!!!! [img]smileys/smiley4.gif[/img]

Personally, the childbrain was one of the best for me. It explained each question as to how to answer it and what it meant and it scored so easily. Now if you think aspergers I would try an asperger test maybe. I never tried thosecuz ds doesn't have much language. I know most of the good tests I took are in the Newbie Post. Good luck finding answers!

Amber

http://www.fightautismnow.com/id30.html

http://www1.dshs.wa.gov/word/adsa/it...tismScreen.doc

Helpfful list of testing.
    Good luck! I hope you find the answers you need, to help you help your child.Edited by: Jean

I just want to add that there is a huge difference between the GARS and the GADS. Our school psych gave us the GARS and our son didn't come close to registering on the scale as autistic. However, when I requested that we fill out the GADS - he was very much on the spectrum! Our son is very verbal and has very mild PDD-NOS, but clearly had issues. The GARS isn't very appropriate for a child who is on the more mild end of the spectrum - it just won't pick up the subtle nuances.

When we finally got the GADS results scored, the school district realized that our son was right on the border of qualifying, so they reversed their decision and did an override to qualify him for services. In that regard, a diagnosis does matter - if it will get you services!

Also, I'm not totally positive, but I don't think that the raw scores that you tally completely translate to the score of where they fall on the spectrum. I think that the professionals scoring it have to translate the raw scores.

Oh, I better add that the GADS is the Gilliam Asperger Disorder Scale as opposed to the Gilliam Autism Rating Scale!

Heres a link to MANY screening tools and rating scales... http://www.massgeneral.org/madiresou...schoolpsychiat ry/screeningtools_table.asp

anyone interested may also want tocheck out the ones listed in the Newbie thread

<TABLE cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=0 width=625>
    <T>
    <TR>
    <TD></TD>
    <TD vAlign=top>Screening Tools/ Rating Scales &gt; Table of All Screening Tools &amp; Rating Scales </TD>
    <TD vAlign=top></TD></TR>
    <TR>
    <TD></TD>
    <TD vAlign=top>Last Updated: August 8, 2005 </TD>
    <TD vAlign=top></TD></TR>
    <TR>
    <TD width=6></TD>
    <TD vAlign=top>
    <H1>Screening Tools &amp; Rating Scales</H1></TD>
    <TD vAlign=top width=47></TD></TR>
    <TR>
    <TD width=6></TD>
    <TD vAlign=top>Please read Before You Begin to learn about the purpose and scope of the screening tools and rating scales provided below.

</TD>
    <TR>
    <TD width=6></TD>
    <TD vAlign=top>
    <H1>How to Use the Table</H1></TD>
    <TR>
    <TD width=6></TD>
    <TD vAlign=top>

The screening tools and rating scales in the table below can be used to help measure a young person’s mental health symptoms, and/or measure progress after interventions are put in place at school or at home.

For each screening tool or rating scale, the table indicates: the age range for the instrument, who completes the instrument, the number of items in the instrument and how long it takes to complete, and whether free access is available on line.

To help you decide whether a screening tool or rating scale might be appropriate to use with respect to a particular child, you can click on the DETAIL link next to the tool or scale. The DETAIL pages give more detailed information about the tool or scale, including a color-coded summary of who the instrument is designed for (i.e., parents, teachers, students, and/or clinicians). The DETAIL pages also provide direct links to view, download, or order the tools and scales. The DETAIL pages are organized by symptom, so, for example all the screening tools and scales for anxiety are on the anxiety DETAIL page.

</TD>
    <TR>
    <TD width=6></TD>
    <TD vAlign=top>
    <H1>Cautions</H1></TD>
    <TR>
    <TD width=6></TD>
    <TD vAlign=top>

Please keep in mind the following cautions:

<UL>
    <LI>Use of the screening tools and rating scales does not produce a diagnosis. Rather, the tools and scales point toward the types of mental health disorders that may be worthwhile to consider as a cause of a child’s or adolescent’s emotional or behavioral difficulties.
    <LI>A particular “score” does not mean that a child has a particular disorder – these screening tools and rating scales are only one component of an evaluation.
    <LI>Diagnoses should be made only by a trained clinician after a thorough evaluation.
    <LI>Symptoms suggestive of suicidal or harmful behaviors warrant immediate attention by a trained clinician. </LI>[/list]</TD>
    <TR>
    <TD width=6></TD>
    <TD vAlign=top>
    <H1><A name=anxiety></A>Table of All Screening Tools &amp; Rating Scales</H1></TD>
    <TR>
    <TD width=6></TD>
    <TD vAlign=top>

Anxiety Symptoms

Social Anxiety Symptoms

Obsessive-Compulsive Symptoms

Depression Symptoms

Bipolar Disorder/Mania Symptoms

Suicide Risk Symptoms

Attention Deficit/Hyperactivity Symptoms

Pervasive Developmental Disorder and Autism Symptoms

Asperger's Disorder Symptoms

Disruptive Behavior Symptoms</TD></TR></T></TABLE>

You may also be interested in http://www.udel.edu/bkirby/asperger/DX_scales.html
    <CENTER></CENTER>

<CENTER>[HOME To OASIS] [IMPORTANT NEWS] [BOOKSTORE][MESSAGE BOARDS]</CENTER>

<CENTER></CENTER>

<CENTER>
    <H3>DIAGNOSTIC RATING SCALES FOR ASPERGER SYNDROME</H3></CENTER>

<UL>
    <LI>The Australian Scale For Asperger's Syndrome
    Tony Attwood, PhD. This is a questionnaire designed to identify behaviors and abilities indicative of AS in school age children. This scale is also available in Dr. Attwood's book Asperger's Syndrome: A Guide For Parents and Professionals. To view this paper in Spanish Click Here

<LI>Using the Vinland to predict Autism and Asperger Syndrome This is a short printed interview with Sara Sparrow, PhD, senior autor of the "Vineland Adaptive Behavioral Scales", considered to by some to be the "gold standard" regarding diagnosis of AS and Autism.

<LI>The PDD Assessment/Screening Scale This is an *experimental" screening tool based on the DSM criteria for Autism located on the Childbrain Pediatric Neurology Web site.

<LI>AQ Test: Autism-Spectrum Quotient
    This is a test developed by Dr. Simon Baron-Cohen at Cambridge University in the UK as a measurement of the extent of autistic traits in adults. It was featured in the September, 2001 issue of WIRED Magazine. This is a link to WIRED's web site.

<LI>ASDS: Asperger Syndrome Disgnostic Scale
    Brenda Smith Myles, Stacey Jones Bock, and Richard L. Simpson

This scale consists of several subscales including: Language, Social, Maladaptive, Cognitive, Sensory Motor, and Key Questions. This scale is for use by professionals. It is a new scale, so please consider recommending it to professionals who work with your children.Dr. Myles is the co-author of Asperger Syndrome: A Guide For Educators and Parents, Asperger Syndrome and Difficult Moments: Practical Solutions for Tantrums, Rage and Meltdowns, Asperger Syndrome and Sensory Issues: Practical Solutions for Making Sense of the World. These books can be found at the OASIS Bookstore

This scale is available now from Autism/Asperger Publishing Company

<LI>GADS: The Gilliam Asperger's Disorder Scale
    James E. Gilliam

This scale consists of several sub-scales including: Restricted Pattern of Behavior, Cognitive Patterns, Pragmatic Skills, Early Development, and Key Question. This scale can be completed by both parents and professionals. This scale is new, so please consider recommending it to those professionals working with your children. Dr. Gilliam is the author of several rating scales including the GARS (Gilliam Autism Rating Scale). In addition, Dr. Gilliam is interested in hearing from families who might like to participate in the norming of his scales. For more information contact him at: jgilliam@tstar.net

The Gilliam Autism Rating Scale is being revised. Research is being done to improve this test and enhance its use. Would you be interested in participating in this research? By selecting the link to the survey site, you will be able to complete the GARS on-line on someone you know who has autism. This will only take 5-10 minutes of your time. Your participation and the participation of others is needed to improve this useful diagnostic instrument. If you need further information, contact Dr. James E. Gilliam at: jgilliam@tstar.net or at his website: pages.tstar.net Please inform others you know who might be interested in this research. We need as many participants as possible. Thank you in advance for your participation and support.

To Participate Go to: http://www.zoomerang.com/survey.zgi?...EEW5WW9TMLGKDB

This scale is available through PRO-ED at:
    8700 Shoal Creek Avenue
    Austin, Texas 78757
    Phone number: 512-451-3246
    Webpage: www.proedinc.com

<LI>CHAT TEST
    Checklist for Autism in Toddlers Screening Tool

It has been recommended that all Pediatricians administer the chat screening test to all of their patients during the child's 18 month well-baby checkup. This is a link to an ASA webpage. </LI>[/list]

I don't know when this page was last revised on OASIS, but the GADS has been around for a while. It has been normed and is being used in schools (like my son's). Since that is the case, I'm assuming that the GARS has already been revised and that you got a newer version. I would have to look back at my file which has a copy of both tests and I would bet it has the copyright date on it. I remember looking at it and the GADS wasn't brand-new or it would have stood out to me.

I first found this site for asperger's: http://www.geocities.com/Athens/Troy/1807/criteria.html

I also found this: http://www.aspennj.org/atwood.html

And this site has lots of info on aspergers including tests and I think it has the GADS test which is well known for aspergers. Hope this helps: http://www.orgsites.com/md/asperger_syndrome_info/

Amber